Final of #BeroccaChallenge today; Meet 3x TdF Green Jersey winner
So I must admit I have been a bit distracted by this beast of a competition which runs alongside the OCBC Cycle Singapore 2014 festival (it has 11,000 cyclists, its huge – grab your bike this weekend!). To put in a nutshell it is a stage race held on Athlete Lab indoor turbo trainers called the Berocca Challenge . Riders in the open and corporate categories have spent the last few weeks smashing themselves for a chance to compete for a range of cycling trips across Asia Pacific –
– 1st – A trip to Australia to ride in The Gold Coast Festival of Cycling (28-29 September)
– 2nd – A trip to Manila to ride in the Cycle Philippines (September 2014)
– 3rd – A trip to Kuala Lumpur to ride in OCBC Cycle Malaysia (January 2015)
So you can forgive me for being a bit preoccupied! To make the final tonight, my team had to ride through the qualifying stages and the semi-final (last night).
The three qualifying stages for the Berocca Challenge [and make sure you get your name down for next year because the prizes are epic – off to New Zealand National Velodrome for a role in a few weeks, so I wish you the best of luck. I look forward to watching the Sufferfest in 12 months.]:
Rolling Hills (10km) : 4 – 10 March
Time Trial (10km) : 11 – 17 March
Hill Climb (5km) : 18 – 24 March
Doesn’t sound like big distances but have you ever gone 100% up a 6-9% gradient for 15 minutes!?!? All the teams have pumped out some great results (I have listed them below) and as you can imagine the semi-final was hotly contested – there is a great video on the OCBC Singapore Cycle Facebook page for those who want to see how it is done.
On to tonight, the 4 teams – 2 corporate & 2 open team finalists – will ride alongside 4 top professional cyclists as they battle it out for glory……..oh and an all expenses paid trip….minor detail……The pros are:
- Kristian House (Rapha Condor JLT, Former British National Champion)
- Bernard Sulzberger (Drapac Professional Cycling Team – GC Tour de Taiwan)
- Daniel Barry (Team Budget Fork Lifts, one of the most dominant teams in Australian National Road Series)
- Robbie McEwen (Cycle Asia Ambassador, 3 x Green Jersey winner in the Tour de France)
Great names. So if you are a rider in Singapore, I would encourage you to come down and check out the final this evening in the Forumla One pit after work today (Friday 28th March). I believe we are kicking off at 6:30pm, but I will be posting twitter updates this afternoon – @NWLongworth – so keep a lookout! No doubt there will be giveaways and all the Berocca bottles & drinks you can carry!
If you are a tweeter, why don’t you share it – Just click HERE
Jeez, after all this excitement I wonder if I can get a last minute entry in the 60km road race on Sunday………..