25 of the Best Cycling/Triathlon Quotes you have never heard
Mainly because I sit on a bike next to this quote all day in Athlete Lab and to give a bit of motivation to hit the training hard after winter flu, I pulled out 20 of the best quotes from pro cycling & triathlon that you probably haven’t heard before. I mean I didn’t want to repeat the lists scattered throughout the web did I?
1. ‘First week you feel good, the second week you lose strength. Third week, ****ed’ – Per Pedersen, on the Tour de France
2. Training is like fighting with a Gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the Gorilla is tired. -Greg Henderson Team Sky
3. “To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman.”-Jacques Anquetil
4. Question: Jens, what do you say to your legs? Jens Voigt: Shut up legs!
5. ‘If I had attacked one more time I would have dropped myself.’ – unknown
6. “I used to work in a bank when I was younger and to me it doesn’t matter whether it’s raining or the sun is shining or whatever: as long as I’m riding a bike I know I’m the luckiest guy in the world.” – Mark Cavendish
7. There is a special mystique about the marathon, for example, because of its length—but that’s just the bit you do at the end of an Ironman” – Chrissie Wellington, 4x Ironman World Champion
8. “If it’s hurting me, it’s killing them.” — Sebastian Kienle, on setting the pace for his competition during the bike leg of the Ironman World Championship.
9. “The one time, and only time, I will shush my wife without getting in trouble is at mile 14 of an Ironman Marathon.” — Trevor Wurtele, recapping Ironman Arizona
10. “You can quit if you want, and no one will care. But you will know the rest of your life.” – John Collins (Founder of The Ironman).
11. After collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour, Stephen Roche was asked whether he was okay, his reply:
“Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite” (“yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away”)
12. “Enough of this Sunday stroll. Let’s hurt a little.” Muzzin, American Flyers
13. ‘The only easy day was yesterday’ – US Navy Seals
14. “If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, triathlon must have taken Him completely by surprise.” P. Z. Pearce
15. “The answer is hard work. What are you doing on Christmas Eve? Are you riding your bike? January 1st – are you riding your bike?”- Lance Armstrong
16. “It’s not a challenge until you’re fucked up.” – unknown
17. “Triathlon doesn’t build character. It reveals it.”- unknown
18. ‘It’s rude to count people as you pass them. Out loud’ – unknown
19. ‘Learn to swear in different languages. Other riders will appreciate your efforts to communicate. They’ll also know who you’re talking to.’ – Robert Millar, on fitting into a pro peloton
20. ‘On the continent of Europe it is said that 21 July 1969 was an important day in world history. For two reasons. A man called Neil Armstrong walked on the moon and a man called Eddy Merckx won his first bike race’ – David Walsh, The Agony and the Ecstasy
21. ‘A mountain bike is like your buddy. A road bike is your lover’ – Sean Coffey
22. ‘At least you can quit a bike race’ – Connie Carpenter Phinney (wife of Davis Phinney) comparing childbirth to competitive cycling
23. ‘Cycling is much more fun than dating…..I still get to chase women, and sometimes catch them. But when I get dropped, at least there is no emotional attachment’ – T. A. Melton
24. “It may seem odd that cycling (often) seems to be less about riding than it is about getting the ride over with as soon as possible. . . Enjoyable things should be savored. . . Racing a century is the cycling equivalent of shotgunning a beer. Eventually you learn that sipping is more enjoyable- and it gets you just as drunk in the end.” – The Bike Snob, Bicycling, October 2009
25. ‘“If it weren’t for bicycles, world domination would be within my grasp!” – Stuart Black
So some motivational ones, some funny ones and perhaps you have read some of these before. But if you have any quotes that perhaps readers wouldn’t have see before, do leave in the comments below.
Right back on the bike……